Photo of St. Lawrence's Church, Macau
One of the more beautiful churches in Macau, St. Lawrence's Church was constructed from wood around 1569. In 1618 the church was rebuilt with clay. The present construction, made in stone, was completed in 1846.
St. Lawrence stands near the southern coast where ships would enter the harbor and family members of Portuguese sailors used to pray for their safe return at the steps of the church. The is where the Chinese name for the church comes from: Feng Shun Tang, 'Church of Smooth-sailing Wind'.